Friday, March 12, 2010

Vitamin D - should the daily allowance be raised?

Born and raised in subtropical Miami, it should be no surprise that I've had to deal with sun cancer. You don't see me out in the sun without a hat and sunblock on. Before I pat myself on my own back, I've got to remember that it also means I'm not taking advantage of the best source of vitamin D there is, the sun.

Not getting enough vitamin D may impact conditions such as cancer, coronary artery disease and even chronic pain.

Currently the suggested daily allowance of vitamin D for adults is 400 international units (IU). Doctors have been suggesting this be increased to 1,000 to 2,000 IUs. One of these doctors is Dr. Soram Khalsa, an integrative medicine practitioner at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles and author of a book on vitamin D. A growing body or research suggests that higher vitamin D consumption has preventative effects on certain conditions and diseases: osteoporosis, certain cancers and diabetes to name a few.

Vitamin D is naturally present in very few foods. Supplements continue to be the most reliable method of intake.

The FDA is expected to issue an opinion on whether daily allowances for this vitamin should be raised.

source: Vitamin D-Day, Supermarket News, Spring 2010 edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment